- Injury prevention, faster recovery, emotional stimulation and relaxation.
- Release tension and stiffness and relax and stretch muscles.
- Speed healing from exertion.
- Relieve pain and stress.
- Reduce spasms, break down adhesions and scar tissue caused by injury or overuse.
- Reduce thickening of connective tissue.
- Increase range of motion, improving flexibility and reducing stress on joints and bone.
- Improve posture and alignment and restores muscle tone balance.
- Stimulate or relax sensory receptors.
- Elimination of trigger points as a result of injury.
- Restore proprioception balance and increase endorphin production.
- Removal of waste products and toxins.
- Increase nutrients, oxygen uptake and blood flow.
There are also benefits to other systems such as the digestive, increasing peristalsis and the lymphatic system increasing white blood cells.
Sports massage not only enhances performance but also increases energy, improves flexibility and range of movement (ROM), reduces pain and improves fluid movement.